Regional Agency for Economic Development of Sumadija and Pomoravlje (REDASP) and Faculty of Natural Sciences from Novi Sad (in front of the project «High-performance Computing for Effective Innovation in the Danube Region «- InnoHPC) and the Institute of Physics in Belgrade (in front of the project «Virtual Survey of the Environment for Interdisciplinary Science in South East Europe and the Eastern Mediterranean» - VI- SEEM), held in Belgrade workshop on the role, significance and capabilities of HPC (High Performance Computing) resources in Serbia.
Purpose of the workshop was to raise awareness of small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as the professional public about the existence and capabilities of the centers with high performance computers (super computers) for the needs of business development.
The following Conclusions were adopted:
1. Serbia has respectable resources (infrastructure, knowledge) within four institutions (Institute of Physics Belgrade, University of Kragujevac - Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, University of Niš - Faculty of Electronic Engineering, University of Novi Sad - Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics), which can satisfy the current needs of the industry and related to the next iterations of defining innovation development strategies, the digitization of industry to recognize the use of HPC resources by the economy at the level of "measures" or goals;
2. Commercialization of existing HPC centers within the institution has certain limitations, and SMEs can use infrastructure and knowledge services through project activities. Complete commercialization is possible exclusively through spin-off companies that are capable to pay for the services (to HPC centers for the use of infrastructure services as well as knowledge providers).
3. It is necessary to continue promotion of HPC centers, their capacities and importance, through education targeting SMEs, but also decision-makers, containing not only basic information but through topics which are suitable for target groups. In those free of charge modules (if they are part of current projects activities) or use of e-modules, include wide range of potential users (students, practitioners, decision-makers);
4. During the implementation of InnoHPC project, resources should be invested in capacity building, with special emphasis on "Mediators" (intermediaries between supply and demand) preferable engineers (students of special specialist studies) who have sufficient knowledge on infrastructure and its capabilities on one hand and the experience from the economy on the other. They should be supported (by special measures of the Ministry of Economy or the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia) in establishment of spin-off companies that would provide help and support to industry in formulating the problem.
5. In order to promote the use of free HPC resources (pilot projects InnoHPC, VI-SEEM,) to SMEs, get in direct contact with Metal Cluster Vojvodina, Electric cluster from Nis, Car Cluster Serbia.
6. Organize, by the end of the year, two other dissemination events: 10.10. 2018 Niš, 20.10. 2018 Novi Sad
On the 2nd day of this Regional Workshop a visit was organized by the Institute of Physics in Belgrade, where the scientific and research projects of the Institute of Physics were presented, as well as the visit of the HPC resource PARADOX.
Follow us on: